|DIY Kindle Cover Tutorial|
I decided to sew up a cover for my Kindle to give it a little added protection from scratches and such. This cover is a quick sew and can be made in under an hour if you are familiar with sewing.
You do NOT have to be an expert sewer to create this cover.. actually, this may be a great beginner project.
Go pick out your favorite fabrics and lets get to work.
First let's gather our materials and supplies to make this easy Kindle Cover.
Supplies (This is the supplies needed for a Kindle or Kindle Paperwhite:
|Gather your materials|
- Sewing Machine and Sewing accessories (Thread, Scissors, bobbins... etc.)
- 1 - 8"x11" piece of outer cotton (In this tutorial this piece is the Apples)
- 2 - 8"x6" piecces of inner cotton (I use a coordinating color to add a pop of color, you can use the same fabric as your outer piece if you wish
- 1- 8"x11" piece of fusible interfacing. *You may be able to get away without using the interfacing, but your cover may not be as stiff.
- 1 piece of card board or chip board that is big enough to trace around your device twice.
- 4- 4 1/2" Elastic
- 1- 8" Elastic
1. Trace your Kindle on the Chip board twice. Then cut out the shapes. If you have a rotary cutter and mat, it makes cutting so much easier, however your blades will dull super fast.
|Trace your kindle on the chip board|
|Cut the interfacing the same size as your outer material|
|Pin elastic to the right side of one of the inner material pieces.|
|Baste the elastic to the material.|
Mark 2" over from the edge of the fabric. Pin and Baste your elastic in place with a 1/4" seam
|Attach closure elastic 2" from either edge of the right side outer material.|
|Right sides together. Pin into place|
|Stitch all the way around and trim corners|
|This is what it should look like once it is turned. Flip the elastics over if they are on the front of the cover.|
|Slip chip board into the pockets now.|
|Pin the center seam closed.|
|Sew the center seam closed.|
|Top Stitch and Admire|
|Inisde of the kindle cover. You can easily add a pocket to the left side.|
|Tuck the front cover back and enjoy your reading.|
|This cover is just the right size.|
What do you think? Easy enough? I would LOVE to see pictures of your finished product. Please like my facebook page and be sure to share your work.
What are some of your favorite books to read on your kindle or other reader?