I usually have our meals planned out, because it does make grocery shopping easier, but I always pick up a few extra staple items anyways. Tomato sauce and shredded cheese are some of these items. I always have a can of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce in my cabinet.
This is a non-breaded chicken Parmesan recipe. It is really simple to make and only takes a few ingredients to make the whole meal. You can add a vegetable or a plate of pasta to complete your dinner.
When I eat anything with tomato sauce, I feel that I have to have a garlic bread to dip in the sauce... am I the only one? Well, this is an item that I don't purchase on a regular basis, so I improvised with what I had at home. This garlic bread is a good cheap alternative to the store bought stuff. It's isn't as crunchy or thick at the texas toast, but it is good none the less.
So let's get started:
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts (about 2 pounds)
- A jar of your favorite tomato sauce. (I usually make my own with a can of diced tomatoes and tomato sauce)
- Shredded Cheese (mozzarella)
- Parmesan Cheese
- Garlic Powder
- Onion Powder
- Paprika (for color)
- Vegetable/Canola Oil for the pan
- Filet chicken breasts to make them the same thickness so they can cook even and season to your desire.
- Pour enough oil in pan to cover the bottom. Heat on Medium/High Heat.
- Place chicken in pan seasoned side down. Turn the heat down to medium and season the other side of the chicken now.
- Flip the chicken when it is golden brown.
- Cook the chicken thoroughly.
- Add 1/4 cup of tomato sauce to the top of the chicken and cover.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for at least 10 minutes. (The longer you simmer, the more tender your chicken will be)
- Remove from heat an sprinkle with cheese.
- White bread (or what ever you have on hand)
- Margarine or butter
- Garlic powder
- Shredded Cheese
- Preheat oven to 350*F. Lightly spread butter or margarine over each piece of bread.
- Sprinkle garlic powder and parsley lightly over butter.
- Place in oven for 5-10 minutes or until butter is melted and crust is getting crunchy. Leave it in a little longer if you want a crunchier toast.
- Remove from oven and add cheese to the top. Allow to melt on hot toast, or put it back in the oven for a few minutes.
|Filet chicken breasts to even thickness. Saute chicken in oil in a med heat pan until brown. Season to|
your desire. I use Salt/Pepper, garlic and onion powders, a little bit of paprika for color,
|Yummy Golden brown chicken.|
|Add tomato sauce to the top of the chicken. Cover and simmer for at least 10 minutes.|
**The longer you simmer the chicken, the more tender it will become.
Finish by adding cheese to the top and serve.
|Preheat oven to 350. Lightly spread butter on the bread and sprinkle garlic powder|
and parsley over the top.
|Remove from oven and add cheese. Allow it to melt on hot toast, or put it back in the oven|
for a few minutes to melt.
|Add a vegetable or pasta and you a have a complete meal.|
Start to finish, this entire meal takes about 45 minutes, but you don't have to stand over it. I always try to make extra food at dinner so we have left overs for lunch the next day. This chicken is great heated up for lunch. It makes a great sandwich, or even just eaten by itself.
Let me know if you make this, and how you like it. Do you have a super easy chicken recipe you want to share? Email me or comment below.